Wednesday 21 September 2011

Team Pilipinas - PBA Version

While the PBA is on vacation, the hottest basketball game today is the FIBA- Asia, where our very own Smart – Gilas is on a roll to victory after defeating the power-house teams of Japan, Jordan and Syria. Failed to win against China, our goal to qualify for the next round is still possible. With Marcus Douthit and the rest of the Gilas team, we are assured that they are one of the best National Team ever assembled.

But wait, long before the Smart Gilas was formed, the PBA is also responsible for sending our players to the international basketball scene. I think the last PBA-RP team pool was headed by Coach Yeng Guiao.

Now, what if the PBA is asked to form a separate RP team? How will the selection be made? Who will handle the team?

If I will be given the chance to select the PBA RP-Team today, here is my list:

1. I will create a 14 man team, including one naturalized player.
2. I will not include players in the current roster in the Gilas team since it is a separate team.
3. The line-up will be composed of 3 Centers, 4 Forwards, 4 Shooting Guards and 3 Point Guards.
4. I will select Chris Alexander as our naturalized player.
5. For the Center Slot, I will select Sonny Thoss of Alaska, Noy Baclao of Petron and Alexander.
6. For the Forward Slot, I will select Arwind Santos of Petron, Sean Anthony of Powerade, Marc Pingris of BMEG and Harvey Carey of Talk N Text.
7. For the Shooting Guard Slot, I will select James Yap of BMEG, Gabe Norwood of Rain or Shine, Cyrus Baguio of Alaska and Gary David of Powerade.
8. For the Point Guard Slot, I will select Jason Castro and Ryan Reyes of Talk N Text and Sol Mercado of Meralco.

My Starting Five:

C - Chris Alexander
PF – Arwind Santos
SF – Sean Anthony
SG – James Yap
PG – Jason Castro

This is a fast and defense-oriented line-up. We must admit that our team is very small compared to China and other countries, that’s why I chose Chris Alexander to reinforce the team.

I think this is the best RP Team selection that the PBA has to offer where the defense is the main ingredient of the team.

1 comment: