Saturday 10 September 2011

Remembering the 1990 RP National Team


 
It was 1990; I’m a third grader, with a schedule of 7:00 AM on my first subject in the morning. It’s so hard for me to get up very early in the morning because I joined my dad and uncles watching the Asian Games in PTV- 4 back then. At a very young age, I was hooked up watching my favorite players like Samboy Lim and Hector Calma playing for the National squad.

Is this the best national squad ever assembled? For me YES, because, number one, I didn’t have the opportunity to watch the Caloy Loyzaga era, which is the best era in Philippine basketball history. Secondly, this national team is the only squad (I think) that has the best record ever (in terms of rankings with other Asian Teams during that time), winning the Silver medal. And thirdly, this is the only National Team which composes of 90 percent PINOY (Jaworski (Polish) and Loyzaga (Australian citizen?), I don’t know with Paras).

Let’s take a look at their lineup:

1990 Men's Basketball Team: (Thanks to Mr. Jay P. Mercado)

Hector Calma
Ronnie Magsanoc
Samboy Lim
Allan Caidic
Yves Dignadice
Ramon Fernandez
Benjie Paras
Zaldy Realubit
Chito Loyzaga
Rey Cuenco
Dante Gonzalgo
Alvin Patrimonio

Coach: Robert Jaworski

This is a kind of line up which is loaded with offensive weapons (Lim. Caidic, Fernandez, Paras) and defensive arsenals (Loyzaga, Cuenco,Gonzalgo, Realubit). The balance in the team is very evident and they don’t need any naturalized import to play for them.

The team is relatively a small line-up, I think our Center is standing 6-6 only, but this is a fast lineup. Their speed is their main weapon, with their court generals, Hector Calma and Ronnie Magsanoc, you can never discount speed. Aside from that, we have snipers in the persons of Allan Caidic and Chito Loyzaga. And the suffocating defense that they can employ in every opposing team.

Coach Sonny Jaworski assembled the team in which every position in the line-up is capable on both offense and defense.

How I wish Sonny Jaworski is still very much involved in the PBA and Philippine Basketball, he may not be the best X’s and O’s type of coach, but he can bring out the best of every player as far as talent is concern.


No comments:

Post a Comment